On December 14, 2017, Ithaca Neighborhood Housing Services (INHS) and Claudia Brenner submitted applications for Preliminary Site Plan and Preliminary Subdivision Review to the Village Planning Board for a proposed mixed-income residential development at 46 South Street that will include a brand new facility for the Trumansburg Community Nursery School. The site is a prime location for smart growth infill development, as it’s an old farm field that’s no longer in use within walking distance to the schools and Main Street. Details can be found here.
The newly revised plans include a public road entrance from Pennsylvania Ave and private road entrance from South St. There will be a wooded pedestrian path entrance from South Street as well.
The density of this project has been raised as a concern. To help put it in perspective, the project is half as dense as the Juniper I and II development down the street.
This design includes 73 housing units and the Trumansburg Community Nursery School (TCNS).
- 17 market rates units on 9 lots to be developed and sold by Claudia Brenner,
- 10 affordable for-sale homes sold by INHS,
- 6 affordable rental townhomes owned and managed by INHS,
- 40 rental apartments in a 2 story elevator building owned and managed by INHS.
The two-story central apartment building will have a community lounge with kitchenette, laundry, and outdoor community gathering and play space. It has been designed to be senior-friendly, with an elevator and central corridor. There are several handicapped accessible units, and all units in the building will be adaptable for aging in place.
- First-time homebuyers
- INHS typically sells homes between $110,000 and $150,000
- INHS homes are sold to homebuyers making between $30,000 and $65,000 a year
- Intensive tenant screening
- credit check
- criminal background check
- income verification
- landlord reference
- homes visit
- in-person interview
- INHS property manager and maintenance on site 5-days a week, 24-hr emergency maintenance.
- Yearly inspections by investors
- Approximate rent ranges without utilities:
- 1-bedroom: $300-$820
- 2-bedroom: $400-$1,100
- 3-bedroom: $475-$1,150
- Approximate income ranged for rentals:
- 1-bedroom: $14,000-$49,590
- 2-bedroom: $19,800-$59,490
- 3-bedroom: $22,800-$68,715
Projected residents decreased from 188 to 140 at project completion (8 yrs). This also means a reduction in the total projected additional cars, down to 90.
Trumansburg Community Nursery School (TCNS)
- Not for profit, parent cooperative preschool
- Business in Trumansburg since 1959
- Preschool classes for children ages 2-5 years.
More details on the project and its history can be found here: https://www.southstreetproject.org/